Information about minijobs in English
What is a minijob, what types of minijobs are there and what do minijobbers and employers need to know? Here you find all the important information about minijobs in English.
What is a minijob?
A minijob is a marginal part-time employment. Marginal part-time means that there is a certain earnings limit or a certain time limit. A minijob employee can work both in the commercial sector and in a private household. The main differences are the deductions and the registration of the minijob employee with the Minijob-Zentrale.
There are two kinds of minijobs
Minijob with an earnings limit
A Minijobs with an earnings limit is restricted to a certain earnings limit (currently 520 euros).
The minijob employee does not regularly earn more than 520 euros per month. He or she normally works regularly – the weekly hours of work and the number of monthly deployments are not relevant.
Short term employment
Short-term employment is restricted to certain time limits from the beginning (70 workdays or three months).
The minijob employee does not work longer than three months or a total of 70 workdays during a calendar year. He or she does not work regularly, but only occasionally – the earnings are of no interest.
Minijob-Zentrale: Who we are and what we do
The Minijob-Zentrale is the central collecting and reporting agency for all marginal part-time jobs (minijobs) in Germany. This is comfortable for both the employer and the minijob employee as they are provided with a comprehensive service from a single source.
The Minijob-Zentrale is responsible for diverse tasks. It
- accepts social insurance registrations
- collects the contributions for minijobs
- is responsible for conducting the household cheque procedure for minijobs in private households
- registers minijobs in private households for the statutory accident insurance
It also offers both employers and minijob employees a comprehensive service with clear information and personal advice on insurance, contributions, and registration legislation for all minijobs.
Further information and downloads
- Checklist - Personnel questionnaire PDF, 275KB, Datei ist nicht barrierefrei
- Household Cheque PDF, 254KB, Datei ist nicht barrierefrei
- Information letter for minijobbers (subject to pension insurance obligations) PDF, 184KB, Datei ist barrierefrei/barrierearm
- Information letter for minijobbers (exempt from compulsory pension insurance) PDF, 183KB, Datei ist barrierefrei/barrierearm
- Leaflet compulsory pension insurance for minijobbers PDF, 236KB, Datei ist barrierefrei/barrierearm
- Leaflet: pension insurance for minijobbers PDF, 232KB, Datei ist barrierefrei/barrierearm
- SEPA direct debit mandate PDF, 73KB, Datei ist barrierefrei/barrierearm